October 17, 2021
In the latest episode of the CanPL.ca Newsroom, hosts Marty Thompson, Charlie O’Connor Clarke, Kristian Jack, Benedict Rhodes, and Emily Wilson recap a monumental week in Canadian soccer, including in the ever-exciting chase for the playoffs in CPL action.
Oh, and there are many Oasis puns coming your way – just listen.
First up is Cavalry FC and HFX Wanderers’ 0-0 draw (5:23) that could have ended 5-0. The gang asks, simply, how the Cavs failed to grab three points in a crucial race for home-field advantage come playoff time. Also, how about that Kerin Baskett save?
Next up was York United’s frustrating draw to FC Edmonton (17:30). What’s going on with fifth place York and, you know we needed to talk about Easton Ongaro!
An “Emily game” if there ever was one, Pacific FC’s 3-2 thriller of a win over Valour FC (24:01) left the five-piece purring and asking if PFC can play all four of their attacking starlets in Josh Heard, Alejandro Diaz, Marco Bustos, and Terran Campbell.
Next up was Forge FC and their dominant season-sweeping win over Atlético Ottawa (37:15) ahead of their big Concacaf League match at midweek. A first CPL start for Omar Browne paid off for Hamilton.
Finally, the gang had to relish Canada’s men’s win over Panama in 2022 World Cup qualifying (45:01). What the Alphonso Davies goal means for the country’s men’s program going forward?
October 5, 2021
In the latest episode of CanPL.ca’s Beyond The Pitch, CanPL.ca and OneSoccer’s Kristian Jack sits down with none other than Tajon Buchanan, the New England Revolution and soon-to-be Club Brugge winger that has taken the Canadian men’s national team by storm.
The two discuss Buchanan’s rapid ascent with Canada, scoring that goal against Mexico in the Gold Cup, and preview the upcoming 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, starting Thursday against the aforementioned Mexican side (9:40pm ET/6:30pm PT on OneSoccer and Sportsnet).
- 3:31 – Buchanan on loving football as a kid in middle school: "I wanted this as a job"
- 6:01 – The Canadian connection, starting with current Canada teammate Kamal Miller, at Syracuse drew Buchanan to the school.
- 9:18 – Buchanan talks about his time with Sigma FC alongside CPLers like Chris Nanco, Dom Samuel, and others: "League1 Ontario was a great environment to play."
- 15:01 – MLS Playoffs in 2020 was a huge experience for the now Club Brugge-bound winger.
- 16:45 – "They got me involved in the right way with the Olympic team this Spring."
- 19:10 – Buchanan on *the* goal against Mexico at the 2021 Gold Cup: "We could have easily won that tournament."
- 21:01 – Buchanan on racist abuse received after that Mexico game: "It’s just unfortunate."
- 24:16 – "These [Concacaf] games are wild… You just have to keep your head in it a bit more and don’t pick up any dumb yellow cards.
- 24:51 – Buchanan takes rapid-fire questions, starting with his favourite goal ever scored.
- 26:23 – Why Buchanan picked Club Brugge in his European courting mission: "I had options... A lot of players don’t have that. You’re picking for your future."
- 28:10 – Raptors or Celtics? Raptors.
October 3, 2021
In the latest episode of the CanPL.ca Newsroom, hosts Marty Thompson, Charlie O’Connor Clarke, and Kristian Jack are joined by new host Emily Wilson to recap a busy week in Canadian Premier League circles, including Forge FC’s exploits in Concacaf League and statement win over Atlético Ottawa, the seemingly endless battle for fourth between HFX Wanderers and York, and Valour FC and FC Edmonton continuing to find themselves late in the season.
September 27, 2021
In the latest episode of the CanPL.ca Newsroom, hosts Marty Thompson, Charlie O’Connor Clarke, and Kristian Jack are joined by OneSoccer’s Adam Jenkins for a thorough run-through of this weekend’s games in the Canadian Premier League.
First up is HFX Wanderers FC’s narrow 1-0 win over FC Edmonton (2:30) as Joao Morelli’s goal papered some cracks for the playoff hopefuls at Wanderers Grounds. How will Halifax play to their home advantage and why did Edmonton talisman Easton Ongaro get subbed out as the side looked to get a point or more?
Next was Atlético Ottawa’s triumphant 3-1 win over Cavalry FC (15:01) led by captain Drew Beckie who returned from an extensive layoff to score in just the second minute. The gang dissects Ottawa’s all-around performance, those Dylon Powley penalty saves, and Cavalry’s continued issues in front of goal.
Pacific FC and Forge FC’s heavyweight bout (28:31) came up next, with Hamilton’s 2-1 win bringing praise from the Newsroom. What to make of Forge’s “circle” formation and what’s next for the two-time champions as Concacaf League looms Tuesday?
Finally, the gang closes with York United’s 2-1 win over Valour FC (38:58) and their new coach, Phillip Dos Santos. Is York for real playoff contenders and what do we make of Winnipeg having shed coach Rob Gale?
September 21, 2021
In the latest episode of Beyond the Pitch, CanPL.ca and OneSoccer’s Kristian Jack sits down with the Canadian Premier League’s current golden boot leader, HFX Wanderers attacker João Morelli ahead of his club’s massive 2021 Canadian Championship quarterfinal against CF Montreal Wednesday (5pm ET/6pm AT live on OneSoccer).
João talks about that big upcoming match, how the city of Halifax has boosted his exploits on the pitch, and his near-death experience as a child after a tragic zipline accident.
The two also discuss Brazilian football, Morelli’s fondness of "the real Ronaldo" and how young João ended up in "dark" northern England, something that endlessly fascinates fellow northerner KJ.
- 4:16 – How the city of Halifax has become Morelli’s secret weapon: "You feel comfortable here."
- 5:46 – How some unfriendly games of keep-away and Brazilian Ronaldo inspired a six-year-old João to get into football.
- 9:05 – João discusses a terrifying ziplining accident that nearly took his life as a child: "I thought I was going to die that day."
- 15:35 – How João went from realizing he could be a footballer at 15 to… Moving to Northern England
- 19:01 – KJ levels with João about what’s like in the north: "I had to go back home after living in Blackpool."
- 24:11 – João discusses his northern English twang in his voice: "If I would have done this interview three years ago you wouldn’t understand my accent."
- 25:10 – How João’s attacking versatility has led to a golden boot-leading season thus far: "The less defending the better for a Brazilian."
- 29:04 – Morelli on playing CF Montreal: "I really feel like we have the qualities to go through… Obviously, on paper they are favourites but football is crazy."
September 19, 2021
In the latest episode of the CanPL.ca Newsroom, Kristian Jack, Marty Thompson, Charlie O’Connor-Clarke, and Benedict Rhodes recap the week’s CanPL matches – three league draws – and look ahead to the 2021 Canadian Championship quarterfinal Super Wednesday with HFX Wanderers-CF Montreal, Toronto FC-York United, and Cavalry FC-Pacific FC.
September 13, 2021
In the latest episode of the CanPL.ca Newsroom, hosts Marty Thompson, Charlie O’Connor Clarke, and Kristian Jack take on a formative weekend in the CanPL season as York United and HFX Wanderers post emphatic wins in the race for the playoffs.
First off, the gang gushes over golden boot leader Joao Morelli and his mighty Wanderers after a 2-1 win over Atlético Ottawa (2:43) before turning to Mista’s men – positives to take from a rough run of form.
Next up was York’s tireless win over 905 Derby rivals Forge FC (14:05) – their second such victory against the defending champions. Plaudits to The Nine Stripes’ work ethic, led by Max Ferrari, rightfully follow.
Finally, Pacific FC’s 3-1 dousing of Cavalry FC (26:10) left Tommy Wheeldon Jr. in a sorry state – and gave the Newsroom lots to pour over. Terran Campbell’s goalscoring form continues and, I mean, who really needs Marco Bustos… Just kidding!
Plus, KJ, Charlie, and Marty do an off-the-field catchup, covering everything from, uhh, cat problems, Michael Schumacher, and the Toronto Blue Jays.
September 8, 2021
In the latest episode of CanPL.ca Newsroom’s Beyond the Pitch, CanPL.ca and OneSoccer’s Kristian Jack sits down with Canadian men’s national team midfielder Mark-Anthony Kaye ahead of Canada’s crucial World Cup qualifier against El Salvador Wednesday (7:30pm ET/live on OneSoccer and Sportsnet).
Kaye opens up about his trade in MLS and how Canada helped him embrace Colorado Rapids, what’s the story behind Kaye’s belting national anthem, and why Mark thinks of his mom when dreaming of qualifying for the World Cup.
September 7, 2021
In the latest episode of CanPL.ca Newsroom’s Beyond the Pitch, CanPL.ca and OneSoccer’s Kristian Jack sits down with Canadian men’s national team and CF Montreal defender Kamal Miller to discuss his rise to becoming a starting centreback for club and country ahead of Canada’s crucial World Cup qualifier against El Salvador Wednesday (7:30pm ET/live on OneSoccer and Sportsnet).
Kamal explains why he and former Beyond the Pitch guest Alistair Johnston come together before big matches for a special handshake, how elements of Canada’s current backline make his life easier, and when he knew Tajon Buchanan was the real deal… All the way back to their time at Syracuse University.
September 5, 2021
CanPL.ca's Kristian Jack and Charlie O'Connor-Clarke were joined live by OneSoccer analysts Oliver Platt and Gareth Wheeler on YouTube immediately following the Canadian men's national team's 2022 World Cup qualifying tilt with the United States in Nashville, Tennesse Sunday – a match that saw Les Rouges snatch a 1-1- draw with their American rivals.